DIY Homemade Horse Cookie Recipe
LET’S BAKE SOME HORSE TREATS
OATs + Carrots + apples
You know how when you love someone so much you just want to make them something special…Well that is what I did for my sweet Harry. Harry loves orange sticks and well, he will spit out any apple I put in front of him,, so I was so happy he loved these special treats that include both in the recipe. He loved them so much over the holidays, I thought why not make them for Valentines Day too! Plus he is my special Valentine after all. Hope you enjoy spoiling your pony and as a bonus there is a fun craft included if you want to give the treats in a special homemade container to any of your barn mates. Free Printables included below.
Here's what you'll need:
• 1 carrot
• 1 apple
• 1/2 cup molasses (or honey) ( I used Manuka honey)
• 2 cups oats (from an 18 oz oats canister)
• 1/2-3/4 cup flour (or make oat flour by throwing some oats into a blender/food processor)
• 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil or coconut oil
• 1 tablespoon water (optional)
• Preheat oven to 300-325 degrees
• Grate the carrot and finely chop the apple
• Mix together all of the ingredients.
Please keep in mind that depending on variations such as: the size/type of apple, what kind of oats you use (rolled or steel-cut oats don't absorb as much moisture as quickly as quick oats), whether you use honey or molasses, etc. you may need to tweak the amounts of the ingredients. You should be able to squeeze a ball of dough in your hand and it shouldn't fall apart.)
• Roll and press into balls with your hands and place on a greased baking sheet. If dough is too sticky add more flour and/or water
• Bake for about 28-32 minutes on the middle rack, checking on them often, until golden brown
• Cool and store in a sealed container and use within a week. They'll stay the freshest stored in the fridge
Once you have baked all your treats and they are cooled off. Remove the label from your oat canister. Print out your personalized label (click here for free printable), then write whom the treats are for, glue or tape your new label on the canister, fill with their treats and then wrap your homemade gift in cellophane and embellish with ribbon as desired! How fun is that!!!